Second careers that make the world a better place


Nonprofits are actively seeking leaders with sharp business skills. Have volunteer experience raising money for a cause? You're a hot property.

FORTUNE -- Dear Annie: After 27 years in finance, the last 12 as a senior partner in a successful midsized accounting firm, I'm thinking about "retiring" and trying to find work that gives something back to the community. I have served on a couple of local nonprofit boards over the years, and have some fundraising experience too. For instance, last year, I ran a series of events for the local ASPCA that raised about $200,000 to support a no-kill animal shelter in my town.

But when it comes to looking for an actual job in the nonprofit world, I'm not sure where to start. I've heard that nonprofits are looking to hire businesspeople, but what specifically are these organizations seeking, and how should I position myself to be a strong candidate? — Hoping to Help

Dear H.H.: It's interesting how many people have asked me some variation of this question lately -- but perhaps not surprising: About 9 million Baby Boomers (ages 44 to 70) have already launched "encore careers" with a social purpose, and an estimated 31 million more are interested in doing likewise, according to a study by the MetLife Foundation and nonprofit Encore.org.
 
          Read more

Comments

Popular Posts