How YWCA USA Is Evolving To Better Support Women And People Of Color

By Kathy Kaprino
Forbes.com contributor

Part of the series “Women, Leadership and Vision”

After the tragedies of 9/11, I made a dramatic shift. I left my corporate life, earned a Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy, and became a therapist in 2005. For five years, I immersed myself in therapeutic work focused on helping women, children and families. Every day during those five years, the work was extremely eye-opening (to say the least), and often heart-wrenching and deeply disturbing.  I witnessed first-hand the impact of racism, discrimination, poverty and abuse on women and children. Once you see it with your own eyes, you’re compelled to take action.
During this time, I had several powerful experiences conducting workshops at a number of YWCAs in my area, and was immediately struck and impressed by the important work that the YWCA is doing to address racism, empower women, and support families.
Dara Richardson-Heron, CEO of the YWCA USA (Photo Courtesy YWCA USA)
Dara Richardson-Heron, CEO of the YWCA USA (Photo Courtesy YWCA USA)
I was intrigued to learn that, this week, YWCA USA has launched a brand awareness campaign. I connected with YWCA USA’s CEO Dr. Dara Richardson-Heron, to learn more about the direction of the organization, which is one of the top 25 largest charities in the U.S., according to NonProfit Times, with total revenues of more than $775 million.
Dara shares her insights:

           Read more:

Comments

Popular Posts